With a Benefit at the African American Museum in Fair Park
What: Clean South Dallas: Making South Dallas More Beautiful, a campaign to restore a 25 year old South Dallas institution dedicated to the beautification and preservation of the much loved South Dallas community.
The campaign will:
- Gather resources – funds and volunteers — to restore the beautiful 2 story house and gazebo located near the Martin Luther King Center complex.
- Lift up the legacy of service and activism of the Clean South Dallas founder Mrs. Kathlyn Joy Gilliam in educational advocacy, parent training, strategic planning, environmental justice and mobilizing hundreds of students and adults to keep South Dallas clean of trash and other undesirables.
- Create awareness of a host of programs organized by Clean South Dallas that focus on a more beautiful South Dallas (i.e a South Dallas rich in history, culture, resiliency, integrity, respect and fun).
When: Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012 6-8PM
Where: African American Museum | In Fair Park | Dallas Texas
Admission: Generous Donations at the door. For information the public should call 214-428-0418.
“We are gathering to honor the legacy of Mrs. Kathlyn Joy Gilliam, the first African American and female president of the DISD Board, a life long member of South Dallas and founder of Clean South Dallas, with a fundraiser” states Carolyn R. Davis, Councilwoman for District 7. “Mrs. Gilliam created an institution to help stabilize, protect and beautify the South Dallas community. Four times a years Mrs. Gilliam mobilized thousands of students to pick up rakes and trash bags to clean up vacant lots and the yards of Senior Citizens. We have held dozens of meetings at the Clean South Dallas Center to evaluate the state of South Dallas, the impact of city/state/federal policies and programs on working families. This important work must continue.”
With the Mayor’s Grow South campaign in full bloom, we are inviting the entire Dallas community –North, West and East to join us in South Dallas for an evening of good food, fellowship, cultural presentations and an order of South Dallas Swag dance!
Clean South Dallas Programs
- Selena Butler Institute, a 4 month training workshop developed to empower parents and residents to be effective advocates in the public education
- Yard of the Month Contest for homeowners/businesses/churches
- Mr. and Miss Clean South Dallas essay contest for high school students
- Summer Environmental Earth Camp for youth
- Butterfly Educational Garden
- Community Pride Essay and Poster Contest
- National Night Out dealing with issues of crime/ safety
- South Dallas Holiday Tree Lighting Celebration on the corner of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Blvd.
- Collectively working with religious, civic and social service organizations throughout South Dallas and the Metroplex (i.e State of South Dallas, TX).
- Adult computer training for Senior Citizens in the community
- Senior Healthcare Screening