Dallas South News Wire (Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity)
Forty affordable single-family homes now stand on the site of Frazier Courts, a crime ridden and decayed public housing project that was comprised of 250 barracks-style units built in 1942 and 300 units built in 1952.
A HOPE VI grant to the Dallas Housing Authority in 2003 led to the demolition of Frazier Courts and ultimately to a $60 million project to replace the 55 acres of public housing with affordable rental housing and home ownership units. The Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity’s Frazier Courtyard Homes represents the final piece of that redevelopment plan, along with another 11 lease-purchase homes to be built by Habitat’s partner Innercity Community Development Corp.
The last Habitat home was completed in December 2010, and all have been sold and are occupied, with the average home buyer at 43 percent of the area median income. “Everyone we help has income. The misconception about Habitat is that we’re giving away homes,” says Bill Hall, CEO of Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity. “But these are hardworking, ambitious families. We break that rental cycle.”
The homes are built to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design silver standards, which will provide the residents with savings on energy costs for the long term. Support for the $5.3 million project came from federal funds through the Department of Housing and Urban Development, including the National Stabilization Program 2, and the Environmental Protection Agency; state funds through the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs; and local funds through the city of Dallas, Dallas Housing Authority, and the North Texas Council of Governments. Dallas Area Habitat raised more than $2 million in private funds.